GENERAL INFORMATION FOR RETIRED SERVICEMEN AND THEIR SPOUSES
Know your Pension Payment Order and Pension Procedure
1, (PPO) is a very vital document and original PPO and subsequent corrigendum issued by the Pension Sanctioning Authority, PCDA (P), Allahabad should be maintained properly. Keep the original securely and make at least 20 copies of it. It is your most important document post retirement.
a. Keep your spouse informed of the entitlements.
b. In case the original PPO dispatched by the PCDA (P), Allahabad to the bankers is lost by them, which result in delay in initiation of the pension, the bank should issue a loss certificate and take up the case with PCDA (P), Allahabad for issue of duplicate PPO.
c. Please check if your PPO contains an endorsement giving the name and age of the spouse and details of ordinary family pension. If it does not, at the earliest make out an application in triplicate and send it to the agency that had issued the PPO -CDA (Pensions) Allahabad
d. The pensioner must visit his pension disbursing agency (bank) for submission of life certificate. It has to be rendered annually, generally in the month of November.
e. Any change in residential address must be intimated to the Records which is MP-5(B)/ MPRS (O) and the bank.
f. There is no requirement of issue of Corrigendum PPO in case the pensioner needs to change his bankers.
g. In case the pension has not been withdrawn for more than 12 months, the PDA must be approached along with explanation for delay, non-employment and non-conviction certificate failing which the pension would be suspended by the bank.
Bank Account for Pension. Please ensure you have a joint pension account and that a nomination is made for the account. in favour of a child/ family member or any other person of her/his choice for this single account so that when the need arises, the nominee can get the amount left in that account without any further formality.
Keep track of Govt letters issued from time to time pertaining to pension are available on the website of PCDA (P), Allahabad at www.pcdapension.nic.in
NRI Pensioners. Many NRI pensioners face problems relating to stoppage of their pension. Experience indicates that the problems of these pensioners are primarily caused due to non-submission/transit loss of yearly life certificate and non- adherence to procedural requirements of FEMA (foreign exchange management act). NRI pensioners can open NRO account and give power of attorney to the bank. They will be required to have a PAN card and fill certain forms prescribed by CBDT (central board of direct taxes). The NRI pensioners who do not want regular transfer of money from India can tie up the same with their banks and withdraw the money during their visits to India. Monthly pension problems like delay in restoring commuted value of pension and commencement of additional pension after 80 years of age etc can be taken up directly with bank.
Other Financial and Banking Aspects
Bank Accounts Close all unnecessary Bank & Post Office Accounts and consolidate the balances into nearest bank. If required, open a new joint S/B account, to be operated by either or survivor, with your Spouse/ Next of kin. Make all accounts including Pension Account to be operated jointly with your Spouse/Next of Kin. Ensure one of your heir is nominated in each account and entry to that effect is made in the Pass Book, including Pension Account. Do not maintain HUF (hindu undivided family) account unless you have your NOK as KARTA/Nominee. Close it at the earliest to avoid troubles to your family on demise of KARTA.
6 Bank Locker. Convert bank locker to be operated jointly, as either or survivor with the spouse and with a Nominee.
Keep sufficient cash at home to meet emergent requirements. It is advisable to keep couple of undated but signed cheques at secure place and known to your spouse /NOK, to be cashed, in emergency only. These prove very useful when need arises.
Obtain PAN Card for your Spouse and start filling her yearly Income Tax Return.
It is also advisable to transfer all FDs to your Spouse’s name to generate income in her name for income tax planning purposes. It will also save your Income Tax liability and she will feel more secure.
Make a WILL and preferably register it with the Registrar of Documents.
Update your Records.
- Keep records of the following and update it regularly
(a) Addresses, Phone Numbers and E-mail Addresses of your relatives, friends and all those persons who should be informed in the event of an emergency.
(b) Details of Immovable Properties with locations of their Registration.
(c) Location of Weapons and their Registration Certificate and date of its renewal.
(d) Particulars of Automobiles with their Body, Chassis Numbers and location of Registration Certificates.
(e) Details of Bank & Post Office Accounts FD’s, with location of Pass Books, Cheque Books and F Ds.
(f) Details of Insurance Policies, their locations & when premiums are due.
(g) Contents of Bank Locker with number and location of it’s key.
(h) Details of Debtors and Creditors with schedules of Receipts & Payments with balances outstanding if any.
(i) PPO and PAN CARD Nos.
- Keep a folder containing all important documents centrally. Your wife/NOK should be aware of its contents and location. The folder should contain : -
• Details of Bank Accounts and Bank Lockers (including key number).
• Bank/Post Office Accounts and lockers should be in joint names. Facilities of nomination should be availed. Nominees should be other than joint operators.
• Fixed Deposits should be held jointly. Date of payment of interest as well as of maturity should be noted in a diary or on a calendar for timely action.
• Cumulative Time Deposits of Bank/Post Office, PPF etc. Pass Books should be got updated regularly.
• Birth Certificate.
• Motor car/scooter papers and insurance papers for these.
• Income Tax/Wealth Tax files.
• Policy files- LIC, GIC, Health/Mediclaim/Fire/Household Accident etc.
• Pension Papers.
• Property files- Real Estate, Flat ownership etc.
• Property Tax papers.
• Telephone file- first original Bill.
• Deposit receipt for Gas/Electricity/Water etc.
• Passport, Driving License, Identity Card, ECHS Card, Canteen Smart Card, Sainik Board Ex-Servicemen Identity Card, Club/Institute membership cards etc (photo copies of thereof to be kept separately).
• Medical file including relevant test reports and medicines taken regularly.
• Share certificates, their allotment advice for ascertaining capital gains.
• Rent papers (Receipts, Lease document and any related correspondence).
• Pending litigation papers and court decision, if any.
• Details of loans, if any, taken for House-building/purchase of car etc and their repayment schedule.
• Details of Credit Cards/ Debit Cards with dates of validity.
• Any other matter of interest to your family/NOK.
Precautions to be taken by the Elderly Persons.
- It is suggested that older persons specially those staying alone should observe strict precautions.
• Get police verification done of your domestic help.
• As far as possible avoid employing Gorkhas of Nepal origin since it is difficult to verify them.
• Install Magic Eye and Door Chain on the entrance door and instruct your servant not to open the door without your permission.
• A stranger could mean danger. Do not let in a stranger even for glass of water, letter, parcel or money order, unless you recognize the deliverymen.
• Verify over telephone, the genuineness of a stranger, who drop in with a relative’s reference.
• Be in regular touch with your neighbors and relatives and keep their telephone numbers handy.
• Preferably, install a system to alert neighbors in case of emergency.
• Avoid employing unknown persons such as masons, carpenters, painters,
electricians etc. Their reappearance without being called, should be treated with suspicion.
• Put effective warning mechanism on your doors and windows.
• If possible keep watch dog as a pet.
• To avoid tripping, keep living space free of clutter and obstructions.
• Keep night light on.
• Keep supports to hold on to around in the house.
• Keep fit and alert.
• Always go out in a group for morning and evening walk and avoid the same route if alone.
• Keep vital Telephone numbers handy for emergency.
• Inform your nearest PCR van and neighbors if you are suspicious of some one.
• Do not be recluse and should keep socializing.
• Do not talk about family secrets/property in front of strangers or servants.
• While going out always put some light on.
• All doors and windows should be fitted with strong iron grills.
Carry Identity Card. To ensure that you get prompt and proper Medicare, you should always carry an identity card/ disc having your Personal Information in local language:-
• Name, Address and telephone No.
• Blood Group and allergy if any.
• If suffering from Epilepsy, heart problem or diabetes.
• I card may save your life during emergency.
Local information to be recorded and kept ready.
• Local ECHS / Military Hospital/ Nearest Registered Medical Doctors’ Tele Nos. For emergency attendance of Patients.
• Housing Society President/Secretary Tele Nos.
• CSD Managers Tele No.
• Ambulance/ Hearse Van Tele No.
• Address of shops for last rites materials.
• Tele No & Address of Authority for Registering the Deaths.
• Local Club Tele Nos.
• Local Cremation Ground Tele Nos.
• Local Arya Samaj / Sanatan Dharm , Gurdwara, NSS etc. Tele Nos.
• Local News Paper Tele Nos. for booking of Obituary.
• Tele Nos of near & dear ones to be intimated in emergency.
• Tele Nos of Police Station , Fire station & Water Tanker Services.
• Local Units / Head Quarters /CSD Canteen Tele Nos. for necessary assistance and ADLR.
Improve your Friends Circle and maintain cordial relations with your neighbors. They only will be first to come to your families’ help when need arises till relatives and friends arrive.
Develop a hobby and keep yourself mentally and physically busy.
ABOVE ALL ENJOY EACH DAY OF YOUR LIFE. REMEMBER, LIKE OLD WINE, WE ONLY BECOME BETTER AS WE GROW OLDER. SO START EACH DAY ANEW, EXPLORE DIFFERENT VENTURES & ACTIVITIES AND HAVE A BLAST.