WHAT IF THE UNTHINKABLE HAPPENS
(Actions on demise of an Ex-serviceman & Claiming of Benefits)
Actions on Demise
- Immediate Action to be taken by Family/Friends.
• If the deceased had registered with an Organ Retrieval Banking Organisation (ORBO) for donation of organs, they should be informed immediately to do the needful.
• Inform relatives and friends.
• Decide the time, date and place where funeral is to be done and inform all concerned including the local unit responsible for providing assistance in organizing funeral services, for necessary action.
• Obtain Death Certificate from the Hospital/Attending Doctor or a Registered Medical Practitioner.
• Arrange a vehicle/Hearse for carrying the body.
• Arrange material required for cremation.
• Obtain cremation certificate from the cremation ground authority.
• The certificates mentioned at (d) and (g) above are to be submitted to Municipal Authorities for Registration of Births and Deaths for issue of the Death Certificate.
• Obtain at least 30 Copies of Death Certificate from the Municipal Authorities for Registration of Births and Deaths. These are required to be submitted with all claims.
Intimation of Death. Death of an officer is to be intimated/ informed at the earliest to large number of authorities as per the suggested list given below:-
• In the case of death due to an accident, lodge an FIR at the nearest police station at the earliest. This will be required for claims on Insurance Companies as well as for processing payment of compensation by the concerned authorities.
• AG‟s Branch/MP 5(b), AG‟s Branch/PS-4, AG/s Branch/CW 8 (AOBF) and Army Gp Insurance (for extended life cover).
• PCDA (P) through AG/MP-5 (b).
• Manager of the Bank (Pension Disbursing Authority).
• Directorate of Regt/Corp concerned.
• Regional HQ of ECHS.
• Various clubs for either transfer of membership to the widow or for refund of security deposits.
• Municipal authority for transfer of property tax details/ AWHO/NOIDA Authority etc, as applicable for the transfer of house/flat in the name of the widow and for the change of mutation.
• Telephone authority for transfer of telephone connection.
• Electricity Authority, Water Supply Authority for transfer of name for the Meter Connection.
• Rationing Authority for change of name of Head of Family in the Ration Card. (n) Income Tax Authority for finalizing the tax return of the deceased.
• Bankers for encashment of FDR‟s, Pension, Loans etc.
• Licensing Authority of the Police for transfer of Private Fire Arms.
• LIC/GIC, if applicable, in respect of the insurance policies.
• If proper WILL exists, approach court having jurisdiction for “Probate of WILL”, and Succession Certificate for mutation of property, transfer of shares etc.
• Zila/Rajya Sainik Welfare Board for Widow Identity Card.
• Concerned post Office for settlement of deposits of Saving Bank Account, NSS, NSC, PPF etc.
• Obtain Medical Treatment Entitlement Card (if not earlier obtained by the Officer) from AG/MP-5(b).
Death if due to accident or unnatural causes should always be reported to the Police Station in whose jurisdiction the area falls. It avoids lot of troubles later on. In such cases get the autopsy done to establish proper cause of death.
Do obtain two ink signed copies of Medical certificate specifying cause of death from the Hospital or the authorized medical doctor. One copy is required by the authorities at the cremation/ burial ground. The other copy is required by the authorities (Registrar of Deaths & Births), who issues Death Certificates. Obtain cremation/burial certificate from the cremation/burial ground.
Inform close relatives and friends on telephone.
Decide on the timing and venue of funeral.
Present the original of the death certificate from the doctor at the funeral place. After cremation/burial has been performed, obtain a receipt to that effect from the person in charge at the funeral place. This is required to be produced when applying for the death certificate from the municipal authorities.
Make a copies of the cremation receipt for reference if required later.
Apply for issue of Death certificate within 15 days of the death of the pensioner / deceased. It is usually issued by the Municipal Corporation. Obtain at least 20 ink signed & equal number of Photo Stat copies duly attested by a class one officer.
Normally death certificate is issued in 3 to 4 days. As soon as you get it make several copies of the death certificate, about a dozen or so, as they will be required to be submitted for several purposes.
Write to the Pension paying Bank Intimating them of demise of the pensioner, asking them to discontinue the pension of the pensioner and payment of the family pension of the spouse/NOK (give name). Enclose ink signed death certificate & copy of the original P P O having joint photograph of the pensioner & spouse/ NOK. Also state PPO and pension SB Acct Nos.
If the Pension Acct is a joint account or the spouse is a nominee in, then it is simpler to operate the same account for family pension, otherwise a fresh SB Acct is to be opened in the same bank. It requires proof of Identity and proof of residence. Photo copy of voter I Card/ PAN card will suffice with three copies of attested photographs.
13 Send letter of intimation of death to the following :-
• The Bank Manager of the pension bank asking for change to family pension
• CDA (pensions)
• Ministry of Defence (Pension Cell).
• District Sainik Board
• ECHS Polyclinic
A suggested format of the letter is at Appendix A attached. . If feasible, hand over the envelopes to the bank and the Dept of Sainik Welfare and obtain an endorsement of receipt in the master copy. Alternatively send them as well as the letters to AFGIS and CDA by registered post acknowledgement due. The rest of the letters may be sent by ordinary post under certificate of posting.
It may take about 30 to 45 days for the addressees to take necessary action. If after 45 days the required action is not taken by any of the addressees, you may send a reminder.
Keep a copy of any letter sent to these or any other addressees for future reference.
Payment of Platinum/Demise Grant. All retired officers are eligible to receive the Platinum Grant of Rs. 50,000/- on attaining the age of 75 years. However, in case the retired officer passes away before attaining the age of 75 years, his NOK is entitled to receive the same amount as Demise Grant from AOBF. While the Platinum Grant amount of Rs. 50,000/- is subject to income tax, the Demise Grant paid to the Widow is exempt from the same. Payment will be made on a sliding scale based on number of years of Commissioned Service. Officers who have been invalided out during service are entitled to a one time lump sum grant of Rs 50,000.00 on attaining the age of 75 years as Platinum Grant or Demise Grant to his nomine in case the invalided out officer dies before attaining the age of 75 years, irrespective of length of commissioned service. In the case of Army Pensioners, write to the A Gs branch (MP-5, CW 4) to update their records and to Pay Platinum Grant if applicable. APPX B’.
If the age was less than 70 years write to Army Group Insurance Fund (AGIF) to make payment of life insurance amount.
No formal application is required to claim Army Officers Benevolent Fund. Widow / NOK has to intimate death of deceased officer to AG's Branch/ CW8 (AOBF) , who after verifying the records/details will send an amount of Rs. 50,000/- as Demise Grant. This will be based on the letter of intimation of death of pensioner.
Return Retired Officers Identity Card to Area HQ ( Int Br) for further disposal.
If there are other Insurance Policies, write to them to pay Insurance amount.
Write to all banks wherein the pensioner has his accounts to transfer closing balances to the spouse / N O K giving bankers your present address, a/c number, etc.
Write to Regional Transport Officer to transfer the Automobile to the NOK.
Write to Arms Licensing Authority to transfer the weapon (if any) to the NOK meanwhile deposit the weapon(s) in concerned Police Station, for safe custody. The NOK should apply for Arms License at the earliest.
Write to electricity providing agency( KSEB) to transfer the meter in the name of spouse/NOK and start further billing against that name.
Write to the telephone providing agency(BSNL) to change the name of the subscriber and transfer the connection to the name of the Spouse/NOK for further billing.
If you are in possession of a AWHO dwelling, then apply to AWHO to transfer the dwelling unit to the spouse/NOK. Format for application should be obtained from the AWHO / Welfare Society . The Society has to render No Objection Certificate (NOC).stating that there is no encroachment of common land, No major modification to the approved design and all dues to the Society has been cleared. If not already done you may have to do it before they issue NOC.
Write to all the clubs & societies to transfer the membership to the spouse/NOK.
Write to all Debtors to clear all dues and make payment to the Spouse/NOK.
Clear the outstanding dues if any of the Creditors and credit cards and loans taken if any. Return the credit/debit cards to the Bank concerned.
Write to Income Tax authorities intimating death of the Pensioner and to close his Income Tax file and open Income Tax file in the name of the Souse/NOK quoting PAN number of both.
Write to the Municipal Authorities to Close Property case file of the diseased person and open it in the name of the spouse/NOK.
Approach the district Courts for Probate of the WILL, if it is in possession, otherwise obtain a Succession Certificate.
**BENEFITS TO NOK**
Ordinary Family Pension. The widow should open a Saving Bank Account in her single name, preferably with the same Bank branch from where her late husband was drawing his pension. The details of this Account number are to be sent to CDA (P) in the letter as per the specimen above refers. Parents and brothers /sisters are not authorized ordinary family pension in case of officers who die as bachelors.
Grant of Family Pension for life to Handicapped Children. A son or daughter of an officer, suffering from any disorder or disability of mind or physically crippled or disabled, which renders him/her unable to earn a living even after attaining the age of 25 years, is eligible for the grant of family pension to the handicapped child.
Dependents Pension. Admissible in case of officers who die as bachelors on account of causes attributable to service. The rate is 50% of the notional amount of special family pension that would have been sanctioned to the widow had the officer been married. Dependent parents and in their absence, dependent brothers/ sisters are eligible for this pension.
Canteen / Ration Facilities. Widows of officers are entitled to avail of indigenous canteen stores less specially allocated/ short supply items. For this purpose, the entitled individuals are attached to the nearest station/ unit run canteen as convenient to Station HQ. Similar action is to be taken for drawal of rations, up to permissible scale, on payment, from the nearest sub unit. Ration and Canteen Cards are prepared by the local unit/ Station HQ on the authority of PPO and Identity Card.
Legal Assistance. This is being provided to the wives of serving personnel and widows in consultation with legal department of Army HQ. Similar facilities are also available at Command level.
LETTER OF INTIMATION OF DEATH**
1. I regret to inform that my husband, (Rank, Name Service No, and Branch) passed away on………..on account of …………...
2. Death certificate No…….. dated……… issued by……….. is enclosed as indicated against the concerned addressees.
3. He was born on…………… , commissioned on…………… and retired from the Army/Navy/IAF on ………...
4 He was in receipt of retiring pension of Rs…………….. pm (basic) as authorized by DCDA/CDA AF vide PPO No……………… of………….. as amended by Corr ………………. , Corr…………..-
5. He was a member of ECHS attached to ECHS Polyclinic ------------ -- .
His membership Card No was--------- ---
6. I will be grateful if all concerned addressees could take action as indicated against them as early as possible.
7. My present address as given above may please be noted for all future correspondence.
Thanking you, Yours faithfully,
1. The Manager , (concerned Bank)
I regret to inform that my husband, (Rank, Name Service No, and Branch) passed away on ……………….on account of…………………….... Death certificate No……….. dated………. issued by…………… is enclosed . The family pension due to me may please be credited to my SB Account No………….. which has now become a single account Bank after the death of my husband. The life time arrears of pension due to me may also be credited to the same account as a copy of the nomination form is already with you.
2 CDA (Pensions)
3 Min of Defence (Pension Cell)
New Delhi 110011
4. Deputy Director,
Department of Sainik Welfare& Resettlement (Concerned District Sainik Board )
5. Officer i/c ECHS Polyclinic (The primary polyclinic to which the pensioner was attached)
APPLICATION FOR PLATINUM GRANT (IF NOT RECIEVED )**
Army Officer’s Benevolent Fund
Ceremonial & Welfare Directorate
Adjutant General’s Branch
Integrated HQ of MoD (Army)
Room No17-B West Block III
New Delhi 110066
Subject; Payment of Platinum Grant On Demise of IC No__________ Rank_____
I regret to inform you that my husband____________________, IC No.____________has
expired on ( date)_____________at______________(Name of Hosp)_______________________,
Address________________________(Place)________________, Due to (Cause of Death)
_________________ The Certificate of his death Issued by ______________________________
______________________________is enclosed for ready reference.
You are, kindly requested, to send me his Platinum Grant on his demise. His date of birth is
_______.Photo Copy of his Retired Officers’ Identity Card is enclosed for ready reference. The cheque
may please be issued to me on the Address given on top of this letter. My Bank details are as under:-
Name of Bank ___________________________,
SB A/C No - _____________________________.
We have ___________ /do not have dependent Children.
Thanking you in anticipation.
( Name )